We are excited to have launched HEX Superette, a one-of-a-kind tasting room and local market in the Govans neighborhood of Baltimore City. HEX Superette is the sibling of HEX Ferments, Baltimore’s own fermented foods company. Since 2013, HEX Ferments has been cultivating relationships with local farmers to make nutrient-dense, living foods. HEX Superette is the culmination of these experiences, with the goal to create a space that brings us all together to experience our local food system; pop-up dinners featuring local chefs and hidden talents, workshops and educational programs for children, individuals and families that are health, environment and food focused.
HEX Superette is featuring a bounty of our region’s finest produce, responsibly raised meats and dairy, pantry staples, along with expanded offerings from HEX Ferments. The market champions producers who use sustainable practices to make more flavorful, nutrient dense foods, produced with both the health of people and the planet at top of mind. The tasting room will highlight HEX Ferments’ offerings, along with locally sourced flavors and libations, executed in an approachable way; elbows on the table!
We are passionate about the power of food to transform our health, our local economy and our planet. Consider applying if this describes some of your core values.
HEX Superette Retail Associate - Candidate Job Description
The ideal candidate is a host and casual educator of all products on display, revels in providing an excellent customer experience and thrives in a varying paced environment. The ideal candidate enjoys working with a team to provide a memorable experience for our guests. You’ll work with the owners directly and daily, and need to be a willing and flexible participant in a new endeavor. A can-do attitude is a must.
Providing a great customer experience is your most important job. Warmly greeting each and every customer is paramount to establishing your role to help support and guide their time with us. HEX Superette customers are looking for a unique shopping experience, while some will have an idea of what they came in for, others may need more help navigating our offerings; however every customer is an opportunity to show them something new. You are passionate about local food and the abundant, creative offerings of our region. Healthy eating is a passion of yours and sharing with others gives you great satisfaction.
Any qualified candidate is given training to be successful and supported in their role as a HEX Superette Retail Associate. The ideal candidate has a background in providing excellent hospitality, and enjoys creating a positive shopping experience. Describing flavor profiles of HEX Ferments staple and seasonal offerings as well describing our wine, beer and spirit goods will be expected. Learning about what we carry will be a constant part of your role.
We provide training in what we carry, fermentation and interacting with our customer base.
With efficiency comes ease and our shared goal as a team is to make everyone’s job joyful and fulfilling. To do that we pride ourselves on clear and respectful communication with our colleagues, vendors and HEX Superette guests.
Specific Responsibilities of the HEX Superette Retail Associate, but are not limited to:
- Customer experience: warmly assist HEX Superette customers as they navigate the offerings in the marketplace and tasting room. Create a great local shopping, eating and drinking experience!
-Describing flavor profiles of HEX Ferments staple and seasonal offerings as well describing our wine, beer and spirits.
- Awareness of a tidy environment, well stocked shelves, and expanding a guests experience with each interaction.
- Ringing in sales on Shopify POS; weighing produce, meats and cheese accurately, entering bottle deposits and bottle returns, printing or emailing receipts. Bagging and packaging purchases.
- Packing and fulfilling online orders.
- Field inquiries and suggestions from customers, communicate to the Retail Manager.
- Assisting with stocking, inventory and display of all HEX Superette retail items.
- Assist Retail Manager with any administrative tasks or errands.
- Routine cleaning and maintenance of HEX Superette space; shelving, freezers, walkin and reach-in refrigerator, sweeping dusting, plant watering, etc.
- Checking restrooms for cleanliness and refilling paper goods, soaps.
- Keeping the coffee area fresh, retail bags and to-go coffee cups stamped and stocked.
- Following written opening and closing procedures.
Experience & Qualities we are looking for:
- A collaborative spirit! This is a new establishment, there will be a lot to learn and being patient, flexible and reliable is paramount.
- 6+ months of retail experience appreciated.
-Active interest in local food systems, farming practices, growing and manufacturing third party certifications (Fair Trade, USDA Organic, Certified Naturally Grown, BCorps, etc). And more!
-You love healthy food, cooking and sharing food with others.
-Growth potential in this role for the right person.
Working Conditions of the role, but not limited to:
- Physical Demands: Standing, communicating with strangers for hours at a time, lifting (up to 50 lbs), climbing step stools and stairs, bending at different angles, pulling, pushing, carrying, writing/keyboarding and operating equipment.
- Mental Demands: Problem-solving, organizing, evaluating, planning, delegating, coordinating, implementing, presenting, analyzing.
- Environmental Conditions: inside, outside, concrete floor, around people, loud at times, music, on a busy road, light cleaning chemicals, kitchen that handles meat, dairy, nuts, fruits and vegetables.
Thursday's through Sunday's: 10:30am - 7:30pm
$17 per hour
Paid every week via direct deposit on Fridays
After 90 days: Paid Time Off (PTO) accrued at the rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked
5 days paid sick leave, renews every year on hire date
25% discount on all items in the HEX Superette
To apply: Please send an up-to-date resume and a letter of interest highlighting your work experience and other relevant experiences, volunteer work, special interests and hobbies and why you are a great fit for this role. email@example.com
HEX Superette is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an inclusive workspace that is free of intolerance, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, or oppressive attitudes and behavior.